- Date Posted
- EL Education
- New York
- National HQ
- New York City, NY
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
EL Education is a leading K-12 education non-profit that is meeting the national challenge to raise student achievement. Combining challenging work with the joy of discovery and pride in mastery, EL offers the education we would want for every child: one that prepares citizens with both the skills and the character necessary for success throughout college, work and life.
Our portfolio of instructional materials and coaching services draws on 20+ years of success in more than 160 EL schools, serving 4,000 teachers and 53,000 students in 31 states and Washington D.C. Based on founding principles of meaningful work, character and respect for teachers, EL’s offerings transform teaching and learning to promote habits of scholarship and character that lead to high student achievement, regardless of student background.
In addition to success on standardized tests, EL students demonstrate critical thinking, intellectual courage and emotional resilience; they possess the passion and the capacity to contribute to a better world. For more information, visit http://ELeducation.org/
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Staff Accountant is responsible for coordinating accounts payable and payroll as well as executing duties related to the monthly close, annual audit and banking. They contribute to the overall success of the department by collaborating with fellow members of the team and working to assure that all policies and procedures are effective and followed.
Accounts Payable/Payroll - Operations
Manages daily accounts payable function:
- Implements all check/cash disbursements; codes, reviews, approves, and enters invoices and expense requisitions. Performs check runs on a bi-weekly basis.
- Designs, implements, and maintains reimbursement system and trains users on its use (Expensify).
- Prepares general ledger journal entries as necessary.
- Maintains vendor relations and updates vendor records in accounting software.
- Responds to EL Staff inquiries related to work assignments (i.e. Accounts Payable, Payroll payments, Expensify).
- Supports Department Leaders as necessary.
- Prepares and enters payroll data into ADP on a bi-monthly basis using information provided by Human Resources.
- Ensures that payroll changes are incorporated and accurate.
- Coordinates with HR Director on information/data changes.
- Prepares journal entries for each payroll that include staff allocations.
- Reconciles petty cash for NYC and Amherst offices.
- Processes corporate credit card expenses and requests: codes, reviews, and approves charges.
- Manages assets and depreciation.
- Keeps an inventory of EL gear and books. Works with program team to ensure an accurate inventory.
- Posts pre-paid expenses for insurance, service contracts, security deposits, facilities fees, and employee travel.
- Accrues monthly rent expense, audit expenses.
Year End & Audit Support
- Creates audit schedules which tie to balance sheet for fiscal year end.
- Supports auditors with any needs throughout the year and during our annual audit.
- Maintains a record for all consultants and processes yearly 1099 and 1096 filings.
Policy & Procedures
- Offers recommendations for policy and procedure changes to ensure adherence to company guidelines.
- Identifies new policy needs and revises existing policy yearly as needed.
- Escalates policy violations to Department Leadership as needed.
Bank Processing – Cash/Checks
- Deposits checks into operating and fundraising accounts in bank remotely.
- Maintains accurate accounting of cash availability for operating account.
A successful Staff Accountant will have:
- A passion for EL Education’s mission and vision
- Formal training in accounting through a degree or other coursework
- At least 3 years of relevant work experience
- Experience using accounting software such as Financial Edge
- Ability to work in Google Suite and with Microsoft Office Suite (Excel and Word)
- Demonstrated ability to learn and use various software packages and applications related to financial management, including expense reimbursement packages
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in writing, over the phone, via email, in-person, videoconference, etc.
- A service oriented mindset towards colleagues in the department and especially others outside the department who rely on us
- Ability to communicate and collaborate effectively with others across the organization
- Meticulous attention to detail and a passion for precision
- Demonstrated ability to consistently meet deadlines
- A commitment to confidentiality
- Four-year degree and/or certification in finance, accounting, or related fields
- Experience using Financial Edge
- Experience using Expensify
Competitive compensation and benefits package commensurate with experience.
HOW TO APPLY
Applications will be reviewed until the position is filled.
Please submit your resume and one-page cover letter online (link to EL’s Career Page) in MS Word or PDF format. In your cover letter, identify the position you are applying for and how you heard of the job opening and EL Education.
No phone calls, please. EL will respond only to finalist candidates.
ANTI-DISCRIMINATION POLICY AND COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY
Candidates of color are encouraged to apply. EL Education is committed to equity across the organization: in services to our partners, in our workforce composition and practices, and in our organizational culture. EL Education provides equal employment opportunities for all applicants and employees and prohibits discrimination with respect to the hiring or promotion of individuals, conditions of employment, disciplinary and discharge practices, or any other aspect of employment on the basis of gender, race, color, ethnicity, disability, or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. EOE VEVRAA Federal Contractor